We all know that summer is usually the busiest time to move home. Any move can have certain time constraints attached. Often its about getting a place at a school that can determine the location of a move and the need to get in by a certain date like the start of the school year or even Christmas.
But in June Rightmove reported on a conveyancing ‘log jam.’ Not something you hear all the time, but with more than 500,000 homes currently ‘sold subject to contract’ that’s 44% higher than this time in 2019, it’s easy to see why a ‘log jam’ could start to become a concern for many planning a move.
So, what’s a conveyancing ‘log jam?’ It’s been reported that it’s taking an average of 150 days to get through conveyancing at the moment. So those of us that have put off moving up until now must start to consider options if a move is going to take place to be in by Christmas.
Of course, it’s still June, but thoughts must start to consider the possibility of missing out on that perfect new home for Christmas unless preparations start now and beat the log jam.
Winter moves can be far different to those at the height of summer. For starters, it can be dark by 3.30pm every day and the weather can play a bigger part in your preparations than at any other time of the year.
Here are some simple things to consider if you are going to get your house move in before we say hello to 2023:
- Start thinking today that a Christmas move starts now!
- Remember that many firms close for an extended period over Christmas and New Year which can add to conveyancing delays.
- Moving companies may need a longer lead time for the Christmas period so plan for this.
- Consider the weather and plan to wrap your belongings in case of rain or snow.
- Cover your floors to protect from mud and water – it’s easy to forget about this sort of detail but wooden floors and carpets can get ruined during a move.
- Look after the kids – a cold weather move, especially over a long distance can mean factoring in toilet stops and there’s a need to make sure everyone is dressed warmly.
- Plan to make sure utilities are turned on to ensure you can be warm when you arrive.
- Check your car to make sure all is in good order, especially de-icer and screen wash.
So, the countdown really does start now! July means you have exactly five months to get the ball rolling before December is upon us.
Get on the market with Parkgate
For more information about SELLING or LETTING your property in Richmond, Twickenham, Sheen, Mortlake, and Putney, please get in touch with our multi award-winning sales and lettings team on 020 8940 2991.
Get an instant online property valuation
Selling or letting soon? Find out how much your property could be worth to buy or rent in the current marketplace by using our free and instant online valuation.
Moving to Richmond?
The Parkgate team can help you find the ideal property to buy or let. We all know the local area really well and can speak from experience and provide a comprehensive overview for you.
Talk to a member of the team today and register with us: 020 8940 2991.